Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine Blooze

I had to make an emergency pit stop on the way to work today and pick up Valentine's cards for at least three people I know. If they don't get at least a card each they will be suicidal/depressed and/or hormonal (usually all three) for some time to come. I will be on the receiving end of all this negative karma, so there is an element of self preservation to all this.

The whole Valentines ethos has changed in Pakistan. The Valentine's shop was packed with people- most of who seemed to be under 25. Yes, the front page of every national newspaper also had full colour ads shamelessly promoting chocolate, flowers et al. But do people really know what Valentine's Day is all about ? Or should they ? I was bemused to overhear kids talking about sending a card to their mothers. Sheesh. That should keep Freud busy for some time.

The only downside to Valentine's Day is the sense of coupling the entire event is designed to promote. As with my single friends, there are others who, because they are single, feel a deep sense of despair at not being a part of a couple. Speaking for myself (I have no constituency, alas!) there is much to be said for being single. I would sooner be single than trapped in a mediocre relationship. Being single gives me the time to be me - not such a bad thing in small doses. I can focus, for some time, on an emotional audit of myself without having to accomodate another. I am not prescribing eternal singledom. Its not such a bad thing, in measure. Or as an Islamabad friend reminds me- the statistical odds of meeting the right person in Karachi are 140 times greater! (The large number of my single Karachi friends must mean a higher sense of discrimination- or that statistics are bunk!)

Post script: Anyone wallowing in the sorrows of singledom would be advised to listen to listen to "Single" by Natasha Beddingfield, recommended to me by a 9 year old niece this summer.

I'm not waitin' around for a man to save me (Cos I'm happy where I am)
Don't depend on a guy to validate me (No no)
I don't need to be anyone's baby (Is that so hard to understand?)
No I don't need another half to make me whole.

Awrighttttttttttttttt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home